Welcome to the Property Law Section
The Property Law Section is part of the New Zealand Law Society and aims to assist the public and support the profession in property law matters.
For the public
The Property Law Section offers guidance on what is involved in property law and information about some of the potential problems. We have explained some common terms and answered some frequently-asked questions, as well as provided some useful links. You can also Find a Property Lawyer near you.
- See more information on buying and selling a property.
- See more information about making a will and estate administration.
- See information on resolving disputes with your neighbour.
- See information on family trusts here.
- Finally, see the Law Society’s information on powers of attorney here and further information here.
For property law practitioners
Membership of the Property Law Section gives access to guidelines and other resources on this website, a copy of our quarterly publication The Property Lawyer and the opportunity to participate in and benefit from the work of the section technical committees. Join the section here.
NZLS REINZ Clauses booklet
The New Zealand Law Society (NZLS) and the Real Estate Institute of New Zealand (REINZ) have produced the 2013 edition of the Useful Clauses Booklet. The clauses in the booklet are drafted for use with the 9th edition ADLSi/REINZ Agreement for Sale and Purchase of Real Estate. REINZ first published the booklet in 1957 under the title ‘Bulletin on Sales Agreements’ and has republished several editions since.
The 2013 edition has been prepared by REINZ and the New Zealand Law Society (NZLS) in collaboration, for use by lawyers and REINZ members.
Property Law Section members can download the document here.
Others can request a copy of the document by email.
Property Transactions and E-dealing Practice Guidelines 2012
These guidelines reflect recommended practice for residential property transactions and e-dealings. Part 2 is endorsed by the Registrar General of Land for recommendation to lawyers using Landonline. Further, the guidelines relating to payment, by way of same-day cleared payment, are given the force of contract in the 9th edition of the ADLSi/REINZ Agreement for Sale and Purchase.
The guidelines are available below for use by property practitioners.
- Property Transactions and E-dealing Practice Guidelines 2012 (582 KB)
- Appendix 1: Private Individual Client Authority and Instruction Form (26.5 KB)
- Appendix 2: Private Corporate Client Authority and Instruction Form (32.0 KB)
- Appendix 3: Public Corporate Client Authority and Instruction Form (24.0 KB)
We welcome inquiries and suggestions about the section and the website - contact Jennifer Chowaniec, the Section Manager.